1) It compensates for the medical treatment the injury victim had to endure;
2) It covers the medical bills and liens that must be paid out of the settlement;
3) It adequately compensates the injury victim for lost wages, and if applicable, future lost wages or impairment of earning capacity;
4) It fairly compensates for the physical pain and suffering the injuries have caused, and will cause in the future:
5) The settlement number puts the injury victim in the position they were in prior to the accident (also known as 'making the victim whole').