Personal Injury cases are much different than what is shown on tv series and movies. This leads to a lot of misconceptions and myths regarding Personal Injury. Here are 3 common personal injury myths:
- A Personal Injury Claim Will Resolve Quickly
- This common myth can lead to unrealistic expectations. The length of time regarding a personal injury claim being resolved depends on many things. Due to length of treatment, the discovery process, status of negotiations, and sometimes even trial can lengthen the case process.
- You Can File a Personal Injury Claim at Any Time
- In reality, you have a limited time in which to file a personal injury claim. You must adhere to the statute of limitations set forth in each state. For the majority of personal injury cases in Massachusetts, the statute of limitations is three years. This means you have three years from the date of the accident to begin your lawsuit.
- Your Settlement Money Will Mostly Go Towards Lawyer Fees
- There’s a common perception that lawyers seek exorbitant fees out of pocket and up-front. To start, many attorneys provide a free consultation to determine your legal options. Personal injury lawyers also often work on a contingency fee basis, so they only recover money if your case wins, as a percentage of the amount recovered.
If you’re dealing with a dog bite, personal injury, workers’ compensation or motor vehicle accident case and are seeking help, call our office at 617-444-7777 for a free consultation and access to our free guidebooks.