When You are Partly at Fault for an Accident in Massachusetts

In Massachusetts, if you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, slip and fall, or any other accident, and you are partly at fault for the accident, you may still recover compensation for your injuries.  Massachusetts law states that in the event you have contributed to your own injuries (if you were somehow negligent), you may still recover, but your recovery will be reduced by the percentage of your own negligence.

Let us look an an example.  If you were in an automobile accident and it is found that you were 10% at fault and the other driver was 90% at fault, your ultimate recovery will be reduced by 10%.  This system is fair because it allows you to still bring claims against the negligent party, even if the accident was partly your fault.