Uninsured Motorist Claims in Massachusetts

Massachusetts law requires that all operators carry uninsured motorist coverage (UM).  This will protect you if someone without insurance has injured you in a Massachusetts motor vehicle accident.  UM benefits are paid by your insurance company.  You are required to carry in Massachusetts a minimum of $20,000.00/$40,000.00 in UM coverage.  I suggest you purchase more than this required minimum because it is not expensive to buy additional coverage.

Can you sue your insurance company for their handling of your uninsured (UM) motorist claim?  The answer is no.  If you have a dispute with your insurance company over UM benefits, you may not sue your carrier in court.  What you must do is submit to arbitration which is a form of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). 

Hopefully, with enough pressure, Massachusetts law will soon allow Massachusetts operators to sue their insurance carrier in connection with UM benefits.