Minors and Personal Injury Claims in Massachusetts

Whenever a minor in Massachusetts has been wrongfully injured, he or she can bring a claim for personal injuries against the responsible person or company.  However, before representation of the minor claimant can begin, the attorney must have a parent or legal guardian sign a contingent fee agreement on behalf of the minor. 

If and when the case resolves favorably, permission must be obtained from a judge, in order to finalize any type of settlement.  The attorney will accompany the minor and the parent/legal guardian to a Court hearing whereby the judge will ask some questions to make sure the settlement money will be well protected and not squandered.  Any judge during such a hearing really just wants the child's interests to be fully protected.

If there is a large amount of money involved, a trust may be set up that adequately protects the child's money until they reach adulthood.