Injured in a Hit and Run Car Accident in Massachusetts?
Massachusetts hit and run accidents happen all the time. If you have been involved in one, you need to know about the following:
1) The accident must be reported to your insurance company immediately;
2) The vehicle that caused the accident and left the scene is unable to be identified;
3) The insurance company that insures the vehicle you were in (as either the driver or passenger) covers the first $2000.00 in your "reasonable and necessary" medical expenses, and any bills that are not paid are then submitted to your health insurance carrier;
4) These are called "uninsured motorist claims" and cannot be brought to court, but rather, must be arbitrated if the case cannot settle;
5) The required minimum amount of "uninsured motorist" coverage in Massachusetts is $20,000.00;
6) You may have to give a recorded statement to your insurance company on how the accident occurred, your injuries from the accident, etc.
Good luck with your claim, and feel free to contact us if you have any questions.