The Most Common Types of Personal Injuries The list of possible injuries that are caused by negligence is a very Read More…
A Boston Slip And Fall Lawyer That Wrote A FREE Book You Can Get Right Now
Helping You Make Great Legal Decisions For Your Massachusetts Slip And Fall Accident Claim Before You Speak With An Adjuster, Hire A Lawyer, Or Sign Any Forms
Christopher Earley is a Boston slip and fall lawyer who can help get you the compensation you deserve if you were injured in a slip and fall accident.
Be sure to download our free book, The Truth About Massachusetts Slip & Fall Accidents before you sign any insurance company paperwork, or meet with an attorney.
We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients injured in slip and fall accidents.
If you had a slip and fall accident you came to the right place for legal help. We are highly experienced and trusted lawyers that have settled hundreds of these cases through the years.
We welcome the opportunity to help you with your case.
We only get paid if your case settles
We are slip and fall lawyers in Boston that help people who have been injured by negligent property owners.
Often these accidents could have been entirely avoided had a property owner exercised reasonable care to make their property safe.
Examples of necessary safety precautions include keeping floors clean and in a non-slippery condition, ensuring that railings are properly secured, shoveling snow and clearing ice, making sure tripping hazards do not exist, and making sure stairwells do not pose a danger.
Premises liability is the area of law that creates obligations on people and businesses to keep their properties safe.
“I’m glad I brought my slip and fall case to Christopher. His office keep me updated every step of the way and got the insurance company to settle for more than I was expecting. 5 star rating!!!!” Tavia D.
“Chris and his team are extremely friendly and helpful. He made this process seamless and stress-free, and all of the upset caused by my accident vanished with his help.” Thank you, Chris! Breanna G.
“Chris was there for us beginning to end when I was hurt. No matter what was needed he was there and guided us though every step to ensure that we were taken care of. You won’t find anyone better than this man to get things done.” – Ana M.
“Professional, Responsive, Smart and Caring – what more could you want in an attorney! I would highly recommend.” – Kim W.
Read all of our other reviews from former clients.
Massachusetts Slip And Fall Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a lawyer for my case?
If you slipped and fell and you were not injured, then you don’t need a lawyer. But, if you did sustain injuries, then you need a lawyer.
These cases are too hard for people to handle on their own, without the assistance of an experienced attorney on your side.
The insurance company is calling me. Should I speak with them?
Absolutely not. Nothing good can come from you speaking with an insurance adjuster before you have hired a lawyer to represent you.
What if I was partly at fault for my slip and fall accident?
Even if you were partly to blame for the fall, you still may have a valid claim to pursue. This is called contributory negligence and is very common with these types of personal injury cases. You are not barred from bringing a claim in this situation.
Many – if not all – Massachusetts slip and fall claims have an element of contributory negligence.
How much do you charge?
We only get paid if we obtain compensation for you for your injuries. That is called a contingency fee. If we don’t win, we don’t get paid anything, and that is a guarantee.
If we get your case settled, we charge the customary 1/3, or 33.3%, of the total settlement as our fee.
Will I have to go to court?
Not likely. The great majority of slip and fall accident cases in Massachusetts settle without the need for a trial. The chances of your case going to trial are quite slim.
How much is my case worth?
That depends on a number of factors. Is there negligence against the landlord, property owner, or whomever controls the property where you fell? Were you partly at fault for the slip and fall accident? What is the extent of your injuries? How much are your medical bills? Do you have permanent injuries?
What if I slipped and fell at work in Massachusetts?
How do I find a lawyer near me?
Hire us. We handle cases bothroughout the entire state of Massachusetts and we’ll come to you if that is easier for you.
Are slip and fall case settlements taxable?
No. Neither state or federal tax obligations are triggered by a settlement for a slip and fall accident case.
What Should I Do After a Slip And Fall Accident?
There is no doubt these cases are challenging. Insurance adjusters typically are very skeptical of these types of accident claims, which often leads them to deny, or offer low settlement offers.
The reason they are skeptical is because Massachusetts juries can be very harsh with their verdicts in these cases. This translates to very low jury awards, or worse, defense verdicts.
However, despite these challenges, a slip and fall case can be strengthened by taking the appropriate action after the accident.
Here are some important steps to take:
- If possible, take photos of the scene of the fall
- Photograph your injuries
- If possible, try to get the names and contact information of any witnesses that saw you fall
- Report the accident as soon as possible to the owner/controller of the property
- Obtain prompt medical treatment to address your injuries
- Don’t speak with any insurance adjuster/investigator that calls you
- Hire an experienced lawyer in Boston for a slip and fall
What Type of Financial Compensation Can I Collect?
Slips and falls can cause many damages and losses. These amounts vary from case to case. We however always seek for our clients full and fair compensation for the following:
- Payment for medical bills
- Payment for lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- All other damages sustained
Common Types Of Massachusetts Slip & Fall Accidents
- Slips and falls in stores and supermarkets – These typically arise from spilled or broken merchandise/products, leaks, or improperly displayed merchandise/products. Our office has successfully handled slip and fall claims against supermarkets such as Whole Foods, Stop & Shop, Market Basket, Shaw’s, Trader Joe’s, and all other supermarkets in Massachusetts. We also handle slip and fall cases against big box stores such as Best Buy, Wal Mart, K-Mart, Target, Lowe’s and Home Depot.
- Slips and falls on snow and ice.
- Slips and falls on rental property.
- Slips and falls due to uneven or broken steps.
- Slips and falls due to broken or missing handrails.
- Slips and falls on staircases.
- Slips and falls on uneven flooring.
- Slips and falls in parking lots – These accidents happen from snow and ice, as well as improper elevation changes, or improperly maintained surfaces.
- Slips and falls at work – These falls involve workers compensation claims, and also possibly third-party negligence claims as well.
- Slips and falls on walkways.
- Slips and falls on freshly mopped floors.
- Slips and falls on construction sites – Construction workers face daily slipping and tripping hazards on construction sites.
- Slips and falls due to inadequate, or a complete lack, of lighting.
- Any and all other slip and fall accident cases.
Slips And Falls On Snow And Ice
Due to our climate, slips and falls on snow and/or ice are extremely common in Massachusetts. These cases previously required a showing of an unnatural accumulation of snow or ice in order to prevail. This law changed in 2010 which makes it easier to win these cases.
Now, a slip and fall victim need only show that a property owner failed to reasonably remove snow and ice.
This is a much easier and fairer standard to meet, and allows many slip and fall victims to pursue claims for compensation, for claims that would have been impossible to win under the previous law.
Common Injuries From Slip And Fall Accidents
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Strains and sprains (soft tissue)
- Broken bones
- Disc herniations
- Facial injuries
- Knee injuries (meniscus injuries)
- Ankle injuries
- Broken wrists
- Catastrophic injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Brain injuries
- Leg injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy)
- Arm injuries
- Wrongful death
- Bruising (contusions)
- Even wrongful death
Nationwide Slip And Fall Injury Statistics
According to Arbill:
- Roughly 1 million Americans experience a slip and fall annually
- Slip and falls make up roughly 20% of all workplace injuries
- Roughly 20,000 die each year due to accidental falls
How Can A Boston Slip And Fall Lawyer Help Me?
We are highly experienced lawyers for slip and fall accidents that have successfully settled cases that other lawyers reject.
Our office begins by investigating the case to locate witnesses, collect photographs of where you fell, and secure video surveillance.
We also frequently use engineering experts, as well as physicians, to provide us with expert opinions.
We then gather all your accident-related medical records, medical bills, as well as photographs of your injuries.
Once we have all of this, a settlement demand package will be sent to the insurance company. The slip and fall case at that point will either settle, or a lawsuit will need to be filed. We don’t file a lawsuit unless you want us to.
Our mission is simple: to work relentlessly to achieve the best possible outcome for each client we serve. We are a Massachusetts slip and fall law firm that offers you:
- Experience with all types of Massachusetts slip and fall accidents.
- Persistent dedication to each case to ensure the best possible case result.
- Access to top-flight engineers and other slip and fall expert consultants.
- Personal attention to each and every client we serve.
- A proven track record of success.
Having A Boston Slip And Fall Accident Lawyer On Your Side
I would recommend that you not try to handle your case on your own. These cases can be extremely complex. They require full investigation, research, fact-gathering, and proper preservation of evidence.
It is important to hire a qualified lawyer to represent you. These cases are always hard because it is the burden on the plaintiff (the slip and fall injury victim) to prove his/her case.
Failing to prepare the case fully and properly is only going to lead to a bad outcome for your case.
Insurance companies fight these cases very aggressively. When you are representing yourself, you are only making their job that much easier to deny the claim, or offer you a low-ball settlement offer.
Slip and fall lawyers in Boston (including us) only get paid if there is a settlement. That means you carry no financial risk in hiring an attorney for the accident.
Given how difficult these cases are, and that the attorney works on a contingency fee basis, there is no reason for you not to have an attorney on your side.
How Do You Prove Fault?
Many people think that if they slipped and fell on someone’s property, then the property owner is automatically responsible. That is not true.
Regardless of where you slipped and fell, or what type of slip and fall case it is, you must be able to show that the owner of the property where you fell is liable to you. Liable means the property owner is legally responsible for your injuries.
If the accident was solely the fault of the fall victim, then there is likely no viable claim to pursue.
Generally speaking, in order to prove liability, Massachusetts slip and fall law requires that you show the property owner failed to act reasonably, which led to your fall.
That is done by showing the property owner did something, or failed to do something, that caused you to be injured. In other words, negligence against the property owner must be proven in order for you to win your Massachusetts slip and fall accident case.
Here are some examples of negligence with slip and fall cases:
- A store owner fails to clear snow and ice from the entrance to its store
- A store fails to clean-up a spill causing a customer to slip and fall
- A landlord fails to clear snow and ice from stairs and/or a walkway and a tenant or guest falls as a result
- A landlord fails to fix a leak that causes someone to slip and fall
Slip And Fall Claims By Tenants Against Landlords
Landlords in Massachusetts are required by law to keep rental premises safe for tenants and guests. When landlords are negligent and fail to keep the rental property safe, tenants are at risk of injury.
Whether it be failing to remove snow and ice from walkways, driveways or staircases, or failing to reasonably maintain the rental property in any way, a landlord can be held liable for your injuries.
We are accident attorneys with extensive experience representing tenants in all types of negligence claims against landlords and property owners.
Massachusetts law also prohibits landlords from evicting, or taking any adverse retaliatory against a tenant for making a claim for personal injuries.
Important Massachusetts Slip And Fall Filing Deadlines
It is important to not delay in bringing your slip and fall case. Securing videotape, photographs, witness statements and other evidence is critically important.
Any delays can severely undercut an otherwise strong slip and fall accident claim. The statute of limitations for Massachusetts slip and fall cases is three years, with very few exceptions.
Keep in mind too that many of these cases have strict notice provisions (presentment requirements). Failure to follow these deadlines can render a valid slip and fall claim moot. Don’t let that happen to your case.
Successful Case Settlements
We have successfully settled hundreds of slip and cases throughout the years. Here are some of our successful case settlements:
- $225,000 – settlement for restaurant employee who slipped and fell
- $225,000 – settlement for tenant injured by defective wooden porch
- $200,000 – settlement for slip and fall on snow and ice
- $200,000 – tenant injured in slip and fall due to ceiling leak
- $175,000 – fall in parking lot due to icy conditions
- $125,000 – settlement for tenant injured by tripping hazard
- $103,000 – settlement for fall due to negligently placed cardboard
- $100,000 – settlement due to unreasonably icy staircase
- $75,000 – settlement for employee injured on customer’s property
Contact Our Law Firm Today
We will provide you an honest, up-front legal opinion as to whether or not you have a slip and fall accident case worth pursuing.
See What Our Past Clients Say About Us
We are very proud of, and have worked extremely hard to achieve, our reputation as successful slip and fall attorneys in the Boston legal community.
We have taken on cases that other lawyers rejected and turned them into sizable settlements. We have worked hard to get our clients full and fair compensation for their slip and fall injuries.
Our office is awfully proud of our overwhelmingly positive reviews received from our clients over the years. Read what our clients say about our slip and fall legal services, and our five-star Google reviews.
We represent Massachusetts slip and fall accident victims in Boston, MA and we serve clients throughout Massachusetts including Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea, Everett, Malden, Revere, Lynn, Lawrence, Andover, Newton, Quincy, Medford, Plymouth, Worcester, Fall River, Bellingham, Weymouth, Natick, Stoneham, Wakefield, Reading, Wilmington, Burlington, Lynnfield, Saugus, Peabody, Danvers, Middleton, North Andover, North Reading, Woburn, Canton, Stoughton, Randolph, Dedham, Norwood, Mansfield, Taunton, Brockton Suffolk County, Middlesex County, Essex County, Worcester County, Norfolk County, Plymouth County, Bristol County and Barnstable County.
When A Third-Party Causes A Work Accident People can become injured at work due to a variety of causes. Sometimes Read More…